HomeContactSite MapAdvanced Search
                                      

National FFA Blog

Subscribe in a reader

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Envisioning Our Potential

I have a dream... This phrase may have been made famous by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., but it something all of us have said at one point or another. My dreams and goals have always been about future careers, countries to visit or people to meet. However, one day my goals changed from the things I wanted to accomplish to the things that would help others. In 2005, Hurricane Katrina demolished the Gulf Coast. Since my parents are missionaries, they chose to go to the site of the damage and help with the cleanup effort in Slidell, Louisiana. My goals at the time changed. My new goal was to travel with my parents and help as many people as possible in the week and a half I was there.

Too often we set our goals and give ourselves tunnel vision. Our objective is the only thing we focus on and we lose sight of other goals and dreams that can be show themselves along the way. We must all invest in our potential to achieve more. Not only can we succeed in achieving our dreams, but we can also make a difference along the way. I chose to go to Slidell even though there were other things going on in my life. I had school to worry about, FFA events to prepare for, and other extracurricular activities going on. But, by allowing myself to reach my full potential I was able to make an impact in the lives of other people who genuinely needed it.

My goal was to help people. That’s what I envisioned doing. FFA members, during this FFA week and for the remainder of our lives let’s remember to envision our goals and dreams. Let’s remember that it doesn’t matter how big our goals are. We each have the potential inside of us to achieve our goals. The only questions left is do we have the courage to allow that potential to create big goals and dream and set out to make them milestones in our lives.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. did have a dream. He dreamed of an America where all people were treated equally and respectfully. He had the courage to have a big dream. Furthermore, he had the courage to make that dream come true. Envision the potential of your dreams and goals and have the courage to make them happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
James Flatt is the 2010-2011 National FFA Southern Region Vice President. He is a member of the Wilson Central FFA Chapter in Lebanon, Tennessee.He currently attends Tennessee Technological University where he studies agricultural business.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home